Repurposing has been on my mind alot lately and this is the result of a 15-minute brainstorm:
I hope I have time to implement all of the ideas listed. I started on a shopping bag last night and can't wait to sit at the machine again tonight to play / sew. - We purchase alot of jar candles. When they are all burned out and done, I clean out the jar and use it for something else around the house, sometimes just another pillar candle. It's simple to clean it out ---- when you have a dry, cool candle, simple use a butter knife to cut the remaining candle into pie slices. Once the first slice is popped out, the rest usually follow suit.
- A pile of jeans and some once-loved shirts and curtains are waiting to be repurposed into a couple of reusuable shopping bags [and maybe a quilt]. And, I'll be on the prowl for some secondhand linens and cordouroy to be used on this project, too.
- I have a green sweater that I loooooooove. The shade of hue is perfect and the feel is wondramous. But, the front is way too low. So, it will endure a few stitches and some stuffing for a new life as a pillow. Or a purse.
- Some of the K boys first aloha shirts, five or six or seven in total, will be sewn and stuffed into pillows and wall hangings. I plan to simply attach them to some chipboard with spray adhesive [buttons showing, of course] then put them in simple wooden frames.
- The K girl's outgrown jeans are awaiting some creative adjustments. Denim short overalls will be cut and a skirt will be attached. Jeans that still fit in the waist will be cut at the leg hem and a colorful fabric ruffle will be attached and a stained tee will be adorned with same fabric for a cute matching outfit. I would make a cute bow to match, but she's not much into hairbows lately.
- K teens tees that are getting too tight just might be fashioned into wall decor, too, by simply framing them. That's better than the teenage heart-throb posters I had plastered all over my bedroom walls.
- A collection of baby food jars will soon become snowglobes. No snow in Texas, but the kids and I will makeshift them with foil heart confetti and glitter for the upcoming Valentine holiday.
- Two slatted closet doors from the master bath will be painted, maybe turquoise with some distress and patina, to become something --- a room divider, cut in half [so four across] and become a headboard, maybe a backdrop / inspiration board for a new scrappy area. They could be a cute backdrop for a small round table on the back porch by the wellhouse or in the garden.
- Some plastic business card holders with dowel rod will make sufficient plant pokes for the garden.
- The wooden shelf with drawers that Sandy gave me needs a coat of paint and a special home. It has a shelf and drawers and would be perfect for holding keys and such. Need to think about location. It might work in the kitchen by the files / black box.
- The wooden shelves Dad made Kahea might get a freshened look -- maybe some white paint and moulding to trim it off. With the shelf, she can remove the plexiglass slats that once housed her dolls and use the area for books or CDs. The wide television shelf could hold her keyboard and possibly her stereo. We could move out the small bookshelf and extra small table, free some room.
2 comments:
Oh my gosh, your house must be HEAVEN with all these amazing projects! You just OOZE talent! I especially love the idea of framing the kids old shirts! I hope you post pics as you get these things accomplished!
Great ideas, I love the idea of reusing the closet doors, especially since Disney has convinced me to take mine down....Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment