6.01.2011

day one : self portrait


This is me, taking in the sunshine and beauty of our garden.  Listening to the K-girl talk about the tomatoes ready to harvest and the birds chirping.

I am always amazed at the miracle a garden holds. 

Really. 

We planted a few plants [tomato, pepper and herbs] and seeds in mid-March.  Things have sprouted nicely and continue to grow, that is until the heat of the Texas summer gets the best of them.   We have enjoyed an abundance of fresh vegetables -- tomatoes, zucchini, squash, peppers, green beans, rosemary, mint and cilantro -- and lots of oooohs and aaaahs as we spot a new bloom.  

The little chickadees that have overtaken the martin house watch over our garden beds.   They fly to and from the house to the feeder and back, always providing us with music a-flutter as we provide them with a snack and a safe haven.     

When I'm out there, I could get lost in my own little world. 

But, the sounds of cute little K-kiddos playing on the playset, running in the lush green grass and giggling or the singing birds bring me back to reality with a smile upon my face and heart.     

I hope the K-kiddos remember the joys of our garden, just as I remember my childhood garden, and the home it has been to our crop, those not-so-cute little critters and lots of TLC.  

1 comment:

taniawillis said...

:) looooove the portrait. the sun streaming through is perfect for the journaling you've shared.