3.12.2010

lunch.

My kiddos are not big breakfast eaters. Not at breakfast time anyways. So, I try to make lunch fun and exciting and filling for them [mostly the K-boy as the girl eats cafeteria lunch].

Lunch is an ever-evolving endeavor.

Once upon a time, I used to pack lunch in a brown bag, always hand-doodled with whatever theme or subject being studied, liked or admired at that particular time. Next was the tin Power Ranger lunch box that we spotted at the party store. Now, it is a action-packed themed nylon lunch bag.

Not only has the bag changed, so has the contents. In kindergarten, the son only wanted "hot dog bread." Simply strawberry jelly on a hot dog roll. In first grade, he discovered grape jelly and preferred that in a circle sandwich. This year, he has requested peanut butter and grape jelly sandwiches, without the crust.

Anyhow, to mix things up, I've decided to ditch the plastic baggies and purchased a simple bento box. While shopping I had to keep in mind that my son is very much indeed boy and the box could not be cutesy, frilly, girly or kiddy in any way. I opted for a simple square bowl with four smaller bowls inside. I have a variety of smaller bowls we use to give more compartments on days we need them. Perfect. As simple as it is, it offers many options and space.

My first thought of bento box is a nice Asian style lunch, maybe leftovers, filled with rice and nori. I've seen some cute riceball creations, but not for my kid's lunch. He just will not have it, not even with his Asian roots, so we opt for a more westernized meal.

Here is a typical lunch:


  • peanut butter and jelly sandwich, no crusts, cut in half
  • chips
  • fruit - usually strawberries and grapes
  • carrots - celery is added from time to time as those two are the only raw veggies he likes
  • dessert/sweet - mini nilla wafers [on this particular day he requested a donut]
  • raisins
  • fruit snacks - only strawberry
That's alot of food. A lot more food than time allows him to eat at his short lunchtime. The remainder, usually the crackers and cookies, are consumed as a snack during the car ride home.

It has been a good experience for us and I can't imagine that his lunch will go back to baggies anytime soon. Maybe never. Yummy to his tummy and eco-friendly for our earth. A win-win situation.

2 comments:

The Mother Huddle said...

You know that is funny, we have the exact opposite problem around my house. My kids eat breakfast great, it's lunch I struggle with! I run out of ideas, so thanks for posting some...I need all the help I can get!

Courtney Walsh said...

Thank you for sharing this with me. I am definitely going to tackle it this week and see how it goes. There's a still a few things I need to get from the store in order to really make great lunches... I hate packing lunches. I'm hoping this makes it better for all of us! lol