1.08.2010

from the top.




Although not necessarily an ornament, our tree topper made its debut this year.  Normally our tree is clad with millions of snowflakes and the queen of all the snowflakes sits atop the branches.  This year, though, we used the colorful star topper the K-boy chose a few years back.  The smaller stars are attached to the larger center star with a silver pieces, altogether making  a colorful snowflake pattern.
We used it because our theme this holiday was merry & bright.  



The year the hubs and I married -- 2001 -- we received this ornament from my brother and his wife.  It is absolutely perfect to frame our picture taken on our trip to Santa Fe that year.  The perfect year --- marriage, trip and the first of many firsts in our married life.  It hangs on the tree each year, front and center and slightly above my eye level.  Sadly, the K-teen's ornaments, except the pink and white retro ornament my mom gave her a couple years ago, were kept safely in the box this season. 





When the K-boy was younger, he looooooooooooved trains.  He would run to the fence each time he heard the horn, and sometimes still does.  Little did we know when my sister-in-law gave this to him at nine months old that he would like trains so much.   It is very fitting.  



The K-girl's "baby's first" ornament is more of a scrapbook.   Behind the framed photo is small booklet to record the season --- what baby wore, what gifts were received and such.   A true keepsake.




When we decided to decorate in a snowflake theme, I purchased these large Making Memories chipboard snowflakes from the scrapbooking aisle.  Some were glittered up and some werer not.  There are only five of these on the tree and I love the bold statement they make.  



This year, though, we were all about merry and bright.   I purchased these felt flowers from the dollar store sometime in spring.   I mentioned last year that we could use them on the Christmas tree and my suggestion was met with a sigh and slight eyeroll.  They were hung on the tree this year --- orange, dark pink, pink, turquoise and lime green -- and were quickly everyone's favorites.   They will be returning next year with more colorful felt pieces.

I counted the ornaments as I took them off the tree this morning and we had a total of 191 placed upon branches this year.  I was quite surprised as we still had almost that many still in the box. 

[more to come soon]

1 comment:

taniawillis said...

loooooooooove the topper....and the crop on the photos. merry & bright indeed. but, really....191 ornaments on the tree!? and that many more in still in storage!? holy wow. how fun is that!?