8.26.2012

a man needs his sleep






































Twas the night before the first day of school and all through the house ...

The K-girl is snug in her bed, soundly dreaming of her first day back.  She's nervous to be entering the third grade, the year of the standardized testing hype.  She's nervous because she has been to school all summer and "it's been so long since I've been in those halls."  Her clothes are picked out --- a new ruffled shirt and her good ole standby pink tulle fluffy skirt and her blinged out cowgirl boots. 

The K-boy is in his bed, tossing and turning and procrastinating sleep as he usually does.  He has already come into our room once, in an attempt to climb into our bed [and procrastinate longer].  He's a night owl and I'm sure tomorrow morning he'll be wishing for more sleep.  He's not as open as the K-girl about going back to school, but I think he is looking forward to it.  Fifth grade will be challenging.   His clothes are ready -- new jeans, a red shirt [of course!] and a black button-up shirt over it.  I wanted him to wear shorts, but they are "not my style" and we agreed day two will include shorts since it is still boiling hot in Texas.  

The art teacher hubby is sick.  Yep.  He has been battling a sore throat all day long.   He has several years experience under his belt, so he is chilling and not stressing over the first day of school.   He says that now, until he meets all those students.   Give him a week or two or three and he'll be dreaming of summer again.  

And I.  I am not ready to send my kiddos or hubby off to school for another year.   The years have been going by so quickly and I often find myself missing the time with the kiddos.   I want to pause the clock and let them soak up each day of life learning at a slower pace.   Take it all in and remember all their childhood days and experiences.  

We've had a good summer filled with forts and swimming and going to the beach.   But man,  I cannot believe it is the night before the first day of school. 

Where has the summer gone?  

ABOUT THE LAYOUT |  The kiddos stay home with the hubs during the summer.  They get used to sleeping in real quicklike and the homebody son loves to lounge around.  On this particular day, he was in our bedroom watching a show on the computer.  When his daddy questioned him, he replied. 

All products from Doodlebug with the exception of the thought bubble and vellum.  

No comments: