12.28.2011

out with the old ...




... in with the new --- the new year!

Can you believe that 2011 is coming to an end and that the new year is upon us already?  Already.  With that comes plans for a small celebration, typically just the K-kiddos, the hubs and myself.   So, I created us a little colorful, sparkly fun using Doodlebug Design products. 

So, come join us for some creative fun. 


Our ensemble includes: an invitation, a mini top hat for the K-boy, a headband tiara for the K-girl, table decor, napkin rings, straw decorations, a banner, a clock for photos and confetti. Sparkly fun!   


The top hat was made by rolling a 5x12 inch piece of patterned cardstock into a tube, securing with heavy duty tape.  Cut a small plate/circle for the brim of the hat, place tube in center and trace its edge. Simply cut a few lines in the center of traced circle and fold into tube. Adhere.  Add strip of sugar coated cardstock for hat band.  

I drew and cut numbers similar to the Doodlebug shindig font from beetle black petite print cardstock, then again in yellow, leaving small tabs at the bottom to adhere to headband.  Embellish with stars.  

Now that the kids had party attire [well, head accessories], we need some table decorations.   I kept these few in number and pretty simple.    


Straw decorations were made by simple punching a star from yellow, adding a couple of black starburst punches and a small aqua star. Punch circle in center [with standard office hole punch] and place over straw.  Something that simple adds so much fun to a drink.   Confetti on the plate was made with hole, circle and star punches from paper scraps.   Glass [really a repurposed candle holder] is filled with large metallic glitter from the dollar store.  

To make napkin rings, cut beetle black petite prints cardstock to 2x6 inch strip.  Make tube and adhere with tape.  Place napkin in tube and flatten a bit.  Tie star with doodle twine.  



To decorate the table, I made a frame and a clock.  The clock will double as a photobooth prop for the night of the festivities.  

I used a double-sided frame from Ikea.  I put confetti between the two pieces of clear plastic, then added the celebrate sticker.  The base of the frame is decorated with a mini-banner, made from paper scraps. 

For the clock, cut two aqua petite prints cardstock into 4x12 strips and fanfold.   Glue together and make "rosette."   Add white sugar coated dot circle to top.  Use a black rectangle, with stars at top and a black brad in the cemter of of the circle to mimick clock.   Add numbers at top in similar fashion as headband.   


What party is complete without a fun, festive garland?   Ours, in this case, is a bit on the smaller scale, but large enough to enjoy on our tabletop.   Here it is styled with two picks, made with yellow star and flag, that could server as cupcake toppers as well.   Paper scraps and punches, and a bit of crepe paper streamer mixed in, were adhered to doodle twine. 

Sometime during the night, I am sure we will partake in a photobooth style shoot.   It is always so much fun to dig out the moustache props, fun glasses and some feathery goodness.   But, for these photos, the kiddos used just the props mentioned above.   So cute.
  

I hope the projects I featured here will spark some creativity within and help with your party planning, all on a whim and budget using your scrapbook supplies.  


No matter how you plan to ring in the new year, I hope is filled with some sparkly fun!

------

PS, I love the sugar coated cardstock.  Get you some in a rainbow of colors.  Not only is it fun to add a bit of sparkles to your craft project, it makes for an awesome backdrop for photos.  And, if you haven't figured out from this post, I save alot of small scrap papers for making punches and banners.  They are the perfect size.  

------

Doodlebug supplies : Petite Prints Daisy Stripe patterned paper - swimming pool; Petite Prints Daisy Stripe patterned paper - beetle black; Petite Prints Dot Grid patterned paper - bumblebee; Petite Prints Dot Grid patterned paepr - beetle black; Sugar Coated dot cardstock - lily white; Sugar Coated cardstock - swimming pool; Sugar Coated cardstock - bumblebee; Doodle Twine - beetle black; Shindig alpha stickers - beetle black; Sugar Coated brads - bright assortment; You're Invited cardstock stickers - beetle black; Headlines Collection cardstock stickers - celebrate



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Those projects are great Sherry! So creative, fun and sparkly. :)

Elizabeth said...

Its a party in a post! I know your going to have so much fun!!!!!! Heck if I lived close, I'd come over for the fun! :)
e.

sherry said...

C'mon over, E!

Nina Yang said...

Beautiful creations and beautiful kids Sherry! I definitely will give the straw decors a try! Thanks for sharing!